Stall Turns and head winds

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Jul 9 20:33:22 AKDT 2003

OK, I've got another question about head winds.

When performing a stall turn I know it's necessary to keep the nose of the plane into the wind on the upline so the wind does not push the plane backwards, but what's the best way to execute the actual stall turn itself? When I tried to do the stall pivot with the nose still pointing into the wind it looked terrible and was VERY difficult to get it to pivot straight to the side. Obviously with the nose into the wind the rudder will not make the plane fall perfectly to the side but will also cause it to rotate. Because of this I tried backing off the of the wind correction and pulling the nose straight up right before performing the stall rotation, but when I did this the plane would drift backwards.

I'd like to hear how others handle this situation to score high on stall turns in a heavy head wind.

BTW, I had a good time flying in the wind today :-)

Thanks,
Keith Black