Scoop-Making

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 2 07:27:54 AKDT 2003

If you would like to dabble a bit in a small glass project scoops are an ideal subject. Just about any epoxy will work well. Check out the spoons available in housewares (avoid the kitchen drawers unless you are batchelor or want to be one). You can make the mold using a carved up spoon, play dough, paper mache,wood scraps, balsa or whatver your imagination will provide.  I like to hold the stuff together with hot melt glue.Avoid polyester resin because it will probably get hot enough to melt your mold. If you don't happen to have any suitable glass fabric, scrap from the rag bag, or a handkerchief will do...these are not structural parts. Use some kind of wax for mold release, I like paste floor wax like I use on the table saw. Try to avoid a wax with silicon, it will be very hard to paint otherwise. After waxing, spray with with hair spray.

If your model is not destroyed taking it out of the mold, you spent too much time on it!

When you do the lay up, wax the mold at least 3 times, polishing each time. Spray liberally with hair spray. avoid runs, they will require filling in the part. When you start the lay up in the mold first paint it with a thin coat of the epoxy. That will assure a passible finish. It takes longer, but small scraps of cloth are easier to fit in place without wrinkles. try to make the fabric cuts at 45 degrees to the threads, it will conform to the curves easier.

You don't have much to lose with this size project!

Fitting the scoops to the fuse:
Tape sandpaper to the fuse (smooth side down).
Rub part carefully against the location to be fitted.
John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606