Super Quest !!!

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 1 08:14:22 AKDT 2003

Is it just me or is a YS140L on a Quest 90 Delightfully Dimented? I laughed out loud when I imagined your face as you looked at that engine stuck in there wondering what would happen. That's like putting a Hemi V-8 on a golf cart. If it gets hot and you seem a bit down on power perhaps you could retrofit a DZ, or better yet a DA100. I would love to see that plane fly!

"Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com> wrote:@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }P.MsoNormal {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}LI.MsoNormal {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}DIV.MsoNormal {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}A:link {	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}SPAN.MsoHyperlink {	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}A:visited {	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline}P.Rix {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 6pt 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}LI.Rix {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 6pt 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}DIV.Rix {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 6pt 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"}SPAN.EmailStyle18 {	COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}DIV.Section1 {	page: Section1}I removed an inch of the engine box (that's 1-3/4" if you include what I cut off for the YS91 and the Hydemount in the first place). The 1.20 AC was 4 oz too heavy so I reluctantly fitted a YS 1.40L. The backplate of the Hydemount was a non-nose ring "hockey-puck" with a 91 set of engine bearers. I refitted the 1.40 set and was able to only add 3.3 ounces in total to the plane. It's about 9lb 1oz now.

Now the 1.40L might seem too powerful but it is using a std muffler and turns a 15.5 x 12 W at  8700 rpm. The plane seemed a bit noisier but had no noticeable change in vibration etc.

I put in a couple of flights tonight when I was sure that the epoxy on the new firewall was hard. I dropped the prop down to a 15 x 12W APC. for a smoother throttle response and less torque.

It flew the same as with the 91 except when it was time to go vertical. The figure 9 with 1/2 rolls could have 5 or 6 in them no problem, The air frame was very happy with the 1,40 and it sure made KE loops easier to do. :-)

Have a nice day.

E...