[SA] 9Z WC2 Antenna Replacement

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Tue Jul 1 05:41:13 AKDT 2003

Dwight Warak Sr wrote:

>Needed a new antenna for my WC2. The FAQ on Futaba(GreatPlanes) Web site states that user replacement is not reccomended because of the tight quarters and multiple boards in the radio. They say to send the radio in to the
>Futaba(Great Planes) service center.
>
>What a laugh!
>
>After looking at things I found that you do not even need to take the radio apart. You just put the antenna completely down and take the battery out. Next use 2.5 metric alan wrench and engage a small bolt through a hole in the top
>of the battery compartment. Push the wrench up and enough of the antenna sticks up so you can use pliers with some cloth to protect the finish and break the bolt loose. Fingers get it off the rest of the way. Reverse procedure with new antenna.

You are correct; it is easy to replace the antenna IF you use the
correct procedure.  However, if you don't, you will end up having to
take the back of the transmitter off and remove several circuit boards
to get at the antenna connection because you will have a lock washer
floating around inside the transmitter (this is not good).  Most pilots
blanch at even removing the back of the tranmitter and prudently send
the unit back to let the pros work on it.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org