Judging behaviour

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP (Test Ops) James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Thu Jan 23 08:20:15 AKST 2003

Interesting thread......
If I'm judging and the other judge states and opinion or observance, to the
flyer, or just to me, I usually say that we shouldn't talk about it until
after the round, unless they say something like, "nice flight," or "good
flight", or other non-critical generalities.  Or the pilot says, "I know I
zeroed the spin or snap" and thus, starts the conversation.

As far as influencing another judge goes::::::  How about this angle:::::
One flyer knows who the upcoming judges will be for the next round, OR, who
are "habitual/likely" judges for a Masters round.  This flyer watches the
other Masters flyer's early rounds and "bad-mouths" their flying style to
the habitual/likely upcoming master judge by saying things like, "... he's
just flying full throttle, way too fast," or " hes flying way too far out
(in disgust)"  (reader, don't laugh yet).

Witnessing the drama as a by-stander, the upcoming round is started with the
habitual/likely judges, and the flyer lands (person who won earlier rounds
but was also bad-mouthed) and comes back and says, "...judge X said that I
was flying way too fast and too far out."  Instead of winning this round,
magically, he comes in third or so.  Upon commencement of the NEXT round
with different judge, this flyer (who flew consistently the same for each
round) is now back at the top.

If your going to judge, remeber the judging code of ethics.  Don't listen to
other people complaining or whatever, give every pilot in each class the
benefit of a fresh start (each maneuver, each round, each contest.).
Jim W.

James R. Woodward
Test Operations
Project Manager