Judging behaviour

Tomanek, Wojtek tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com
Thu Jan 23 05:02:44 AKST 2003

Peter

RE:  "The concern I had with this behavior was he could have influenced the
other judges to think the same as they had less experience. This type of
conduct should not be allowed to happen."  - 1) if the comments were made
after the flight - then how would the influencing take place if the scores
are already written down by then.  2) If the other judges were not enforcing
the penalties for flying too far then they should have, incorrect individual
perceptions of rules are still only incorrect perceptions.

RE:  "Everyone deserves to be judged fairly and unbiased by people who have
their own perception on how a flight should look and should be flown."  - if
there is a lack of the familiarity of the rules or interpretation of the
rules by a given judge or judges then informing the judges of what the
correct interpretation is eliminating biased opinions or individual
perceptions.

The reason we have written rules is to make things equal for everyone as
much as possible across the country.  I agree that sometimes it may be
difficult to get the same interpretation of a fault (in a maneuver) and the
same required downgrade.  The reason we have judging schools/classes every
year is to minimize the individual perceptions or individual interpretations
of the rules.  Again, not all possible faults can be described accurately
and clearly enough, but that is the intent of the rules.  If the spin is
entered form an un-stalled condition no matter how slow the plane is flying
or even if the plane stopped forward progress in respect to the ground there
is only one correct downgrade for this, also if there is no visible line
between two sequential maneuvers there rules are very clear on the deduction
and are not for individual interpretation (there are many more examples).
The issue is even more difficult at local contest where not all judges are
certified.  Even the certified judges should periodically review the rules
and check with others to make sure the rules have not changed especially
when it comes to new maneuvers. Finally, the CDs may introduce field
specific rules at a given contest - these are usually associated with the
takeoff direction, landing zone, or angle of a flight line.

Without being judgmental, the bottom line is if you did fly too far and only
one judge downgraded for this - consider yourself lucky, all judges should
have applied the downgrade.  One time I have flown partially wrong maneuver
and judges did not realized it and I did not get downgraded, however more
often I was penalized extremely harsh for a questionable fault.  In the end,
if one feels that the score was incorrect, that should be brought to the
attention of a CD or chief judge during the contest.

The objective of the game is to interpret the rules not only uniformly by
everyone but uniformly and CORRECTLY.

Sorry for being longwinded,
Wojtek