Judging behaviour

PENNISI Peter Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au
Thu Jan 23 01:11:25 AKST 2003

I recently attended a competition in which the conduct of a particular judge
left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. As I turned towards the judges after
completing my flight this particular person (experienced F3A judge) made a
number of comments about my flight being flown too far out and that he
docked several points per manoeuvre. These comments were made in the
presence of the other two judges.

I am not going to argue that I was or wasn't. The concern I had with this
behaviour was he could have influenced the other judges to think the same as
they had less experience. This type of conduct should not be allowed to
happen. Judges should be able to judge a flight based on their own
perception and interpretation of rules etc. If this particular person
thought that I should be docked 2 points per manoeuvre then that should be
his opinion only.

The issue here is that most of us on this list judge and fly aerobatics.
Everyone deserves to be judged fairly and unbiased by people who have their
own perception on how a flight should look and should be flown. Why have 3
or 5 judges?

If you looked at this incident from another angle some of my competitors may
say that I was being coached by a judge which could raise another set of
problems.

All in all, the fact he said anything was wrong.

Just my thoughts

Peter

***************************** Disclaimer *****************************

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are
intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or
confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for
which they were supplied. If you are not the addressee, you are
notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing
or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is
strictly prohibited. The privilege of confidentiality attached to
this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by
reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you receive this message
in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.

Thank you.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org