Gas Engine Comments

Michael Ramsey michaelr at flying-models.com
Mon Jan 20 06:08:30 AKST 2003

I've got the FPE 2.4 in a Kanke Models Texas Hurricane. One of the points
that was recommended to me is to send the engine back to Kurt Roth at FPE
and have the Richmon ignition exchanged (with a check for about $80) for a
C&H Syncrospark ignition. The outcome would be lower idle, smother
transition and up to 500 rpm high end increase; all reasons for sending the
engine back for the upgrade.

I never ran the engine with the stock ignition, but I have to say that my
FPE is the smoothest running single that I have experienced. Perhaps the C&H
module is the reason for that? It is loud. The muffler is still on. Zero
headaches with the needle valves. It turned a Master Airscrew 20-10 scimitar
at 7,000 rpm on the first tank, which I thought was fine and I haven't had
the need to check it since.

Yeah, I'd buy another too.

Michael Ramsey