Off the subject - pine wood derby

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Wed Jan 15 03:39:49 AKST 2003

--On Wednesday, January 15, 2003 12:13 AM -0600 Joe Barnes
<jbarnes at gaseed.com> wrote:

> My eight year old son and I are building a Pine Wood Derby car for the
> Cub Scout races. Does anyone know where the car should balance? (or does
> it matter?) I will be adding about 2 to 2.5 oz. of weight to the car to
> bring it to a maximum legal weight of 5 oz. There are different opinions
> with the Dads. Some say the weights should be in the back to push the car
> down the track and some say the front to pull the car down the track. I
> think it should be some where in the back third. This is our third year
> of races and we have done pretty well the previous years.(seconds but
> never a first.)
> Any help would be appreciated,

Sounds like fun!

I've never competed.

Here's a helpful page:
<http://members.aol.com/StanDCmr/pwdesign.html>

He argues for a rearward CG.  I think the reason is that
the higher uphill the CG is, the more potential energy
the car possesses.

						Marty
# discussion-request at nsrca.org