Tempting Temptation

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 17:53:02 AKST 2003

I would be interested in how you go about installing the horizontal stab. It is one piece and tapered. The cutout in the fuse will have to be oversize on one side, or the stab center section will have to be sanded and cut so it offers a uniform cross section where it passes through the fuse.  Do you plan on any kind of saddle on the inside of the fuse? Also, will it be covered before mounting it, or will you glass and paint it? So many decisions.
 "Henderson,Eric" <eric.henderson at gartner.com> wrote:With the wind chill down to 10F, today was planned to be dedicated
to some building. However a friend came over with his new Temptation deluxe
kit. He called me twice on the way over to rave about the kit and was so
carried away that he was even thrilled about how tough the box was that it
came in....He stood on it to prove his point. I ordered my wife to hide the
percolator and not give him any more coffee............

I put my latest project aside an braced myself for his effervescent
arrival. He was right about the box. The deluxe kit comes with sheeted stab,
wings and rudder. I must admit that I was also impressed with the kit. This
is a pattern plane-builders kit and nothing like, for example, the FOCUS ARF
builders kit.(My wife hid upstairs so we ordered in pizza)

I have had quite a few fiber glass kits over the years but have not
built one (Non-ARF) for several years. We spent a whole afternoon/day going
through the build-plan for his new purchase. He traded me his Temptation
wings for a set of Hydeout wings with retracts. Should be very interesting
to see how that works out.

As we poured over the contents it was clear that the fuselage was a
lovely piece of work. The sides were braced with polyurethane foam that made
the whole thing very stiff. (This stuff works with cyno. glues BTW) This
material was new to me but I am informed that it is similar to that used in
the Fiber-classics big birds. The fuse. needs a firewall installed, stern
post, stab etc. This one will have an OS 1.40 RX in it. There is a ton of
room for the OS Hatori Ali pipe. I traded him an OS
1.40-no-nose-ring-required Hydemount for a YS 1.20 Hydemount for my new
Spitfire. The OS mount has a flat top rear disc section to clear the OS rear
exhaust header.

I am now committed to installing the stab and wing tube in the
fuselage. (He has already installed the firewall according to an e-mail a
few moments ago. I just love this unabashed enthusiasm when it manifests
itself in a fellow pattern flier.) The stab and wing installation are
probably the most daunting part of constructing FG fuse. pattern plane. Not
my favorite activity but it will get him in the air a lot quicker. I could
just see him spending night after night deliberating and measuring until the
wee hours of the morning.

I am looking forward to flying the same plane. (I am having mine
built by Dave Guerin. He has built several planes for me. One thing that
always happens is that a spectator will always ask. "Did you build that?"
This time instead of sheepishly admitting that I did not, I can say, "No,
but I built that one over there" (VBGG) :-)))

The Temptations is out there now and I know that many are being
built. I hear that at $650ish for basic kit and $750'ish for the deluxe kit,
they are selling like hot cakes. (Somebody actually bought eight!) Seems
like we still have some pattern fliers who still like to build!

Regards and goodnight,

Eric.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org

Bob Kane