Battery Question

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 07:17:13 AKST 2003

In a message dated 1/13/03 7:05:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
BUDDYonRC at aol.com writes:

> Pros and Cons regarding dual battery use

Hi

You will probably get more help here than you want, but I have been doing
pretty much what you describe for ten years or more, no problems.  In some
cases I isolate the batteries from each other through diodes, in this case
you must use 5 cells,  I have also run 4 or 5 cells in parallel with on
isolation.  There has been a lot of discussion about what will happen if a
cell shorts, with no isolation between packs.  The answer is nothing, you
will wind up with a well charged 3 cell pack and adequately charged 4 cell
pack in parallel.  The only real advantage of isolation is that if a pack
really shorted (terminal to terminal) the diode would protect the other pack.
 Odds are, in a situation like this either the wiring would burn open or the
airplane would catch fire and go down in flames.  I think with two packs in
parallel through two switches and careful monitoring/maintance you have about
as reliable a system as you can reasonably design, beyond this you start
adding complication with no additional redundancy, unless the system is
designed VERY carefully.  We could go on all day, but adding failure points
in the critical path, that are not redundant does not improve reliability and
in fact usually degrades reliability.  Case in point are the many "battery
backup" systems on the market, which while adding dual batteries also add a
switching circuit in the critical path.  Since this switching circuit is not
redundant you now have a situation where you have redundant batteries, but a
switching circuit which can take the system down.  Which is more reliable, I
don't know, but a sure answer is no switching circuit required is better than
the best switching circuit?  I see guys rewire DPDT switches such that one
switch turns on both packs, sound great, but you loose the ability to check
the switches independently.  And it goes on and on.  If you sit and think it
through carefully you will find that the simplest is generally the best and
simple with redundancy is nearly failure proof, add in careful
monitoring/maintance and you have a very reliable system, beyond that you
pays yer' money and takes yer' chances.

Bob