OS 160 FX Set-up

Gene Maurice gene.maurice at attbi.com
Sun Jan 12 08:48:20 AKST 2003

Eric,

Thanks for very informative article!!!!

I'm running and OS 160FX set-up very similar to what you described: OS
160FX, Perry Regulator pump, 20 oz. tank on CG, Karl Mueller Header, Macs
15cc Quiet Pipe @ 18.75", Magnum 15%, all mounted in a new Entropy. The
engine is barely broken in, 1.5 gals through it, and as such I've been
letting it unload with a 16x13N turning 8700-8800 RPM and running it with 3
oz. of oil added to a gallon of fuel. I have found that this setup likes to
be REALLY lean, main needle about 3/4-7/8 turn out and the pump adjustment
set screw is showing 4 or so threads. The pump instructions said don't let
the adjustment screw come out, so I've been somewhat reticent to back it out
any farther.

In your article you describe setting the needle way out and then adjusting
the pump. Question: how far out did the pump adjustment screw end up? And,
what did the main needle end up at? Is it possible that I just have a pump
with a somewaht high output pressure?? Mmmmm?? I've never played with a
Perry pump before so I really have no basis for comparision.

The set up I'm using seems to be working OK, its just pretty sensitive to
the needle valve at full throttle. Solid 1800 RPM idle, immediate response
to throtle command, and no hesitation or loading in mid range. In 12 flight
on the plane I've only had one dead stick (too rich). And, this set up is
definatly MONSTER horsepower for a comapratively low investment. This is
coming from a 10 year YS user!

Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Gene Maurice
Plano, TX