Sheeting wings-Elan

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Sun Jan 12 07:57:48 AKST 2003

Jerry Wilson wrote:

>Raining here in Houston, so today I'm going to sheet the foam wings on my Elan (one of them anyway).  Just wondering about sheeting over the retract block and wheel well, & aileron servo mount. Do you just measure their location, then after sheeting go back and find them and cut out the
>sheeting?

I line the wheel wells with 1/16" sheeting before I skin the wings.  I
cut the wheel well just a bit bigger than a soft drink can.  Then I make
up just enough sheeting to have enough to go around the well and have
some excess sticking out the top and bottom of the wing.  I spray the
sheeting with ammonia/ water mix, wrap it around a soft drink container
and hold it in place with a couple of small rubber bands until it dries.
 Then I coat outside of the sheeting and the walls of the wheel well
with a thin coat of Titebond/Wilhold, insert it in the wheel well and
use the drink can to push the sheeting out against the walls of the
wheel well until the glue dries.  I cut off the excess sheeting that's
sticking out of the wing with an XActo saw with the spine removed.
 After the wing is sheeted, you can find where the well is by holding
the wing up to a light.  Cut the wheel well hole carefully and sand back
to the walls.  It really makes a professiona-looking job.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org