Fascination v.s. Typhoon ??

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Feb 27 23:09:17 AKST 2003

You hit the nail on the head!

The Typhoon 1000 is a small airplane...just because it has 100sq doesn't
mean its  large plane.....The 2+2, 2000, and Giles all have that huge wing
on them. This was good at the time but in today's current F3A sequences its
not a viable ship. The snap and spin qualities are poor. The Fascination is
really a totally different design by Chris Lakin..Its a 2M ship the
2+2......But it has a smaller wing on it and snaps better and spins better
than the typhoon. The Fascination also has a larger sized fuse its a more
modern bird than the 2+2....

Now don't get me wrong the Typhoon is a good plane but if you're going to
build one build the 2000 or the 2+2...the 1000 was a bit too small and was
in the first generation of the 120 ships.....the 2+2 is a much batter
plane......In fact a 2+2 with Typhoon "D" wings or the 1000 wings.....would
be a good combo.....I think the "D" would be better...but they are a tough
thing to come by I don't think plans are available for them..it was a rare
one that was not around long...the 2+2 took over quickly.

the fascination was a good plane also..I'm not a big fan of the 1 piece
wings....Now since you are building from wood you could modify the design to
be a plug-in wing and not the 1 piece......Some have done a 1 piece wing
that slides together on  wing tube setup.....This might be a bit on the
heavy side in my opinion....Just kill the center section of the wing and
mount the wing tube socket in the fuse......It will be lighter than building
up the supports to mount the wing as a one piece then sticking the supports
in the wing for the tube...your building the same stuff twice...not
needed.....

My opinion...I have flown many of the Typhoons they are a great plane for
AMA class patterns....I would say even up through Masters....No matter what
people seem to think the demands on the Plane in the masters pattern is not
anything more than the F3A sequences of the mid to late 90's The snaps are
45 downs and there are not spins reversed like the current F3A
sequences.....So this being the case the 2+2 can and will be a good platform
for anybody up ingot he masters class...I flew A 2+2 in Masters in 99' and
placed 4th....Now 4 years later and 2 pattern later and the only
requirements that have changed is more power needed.....Not more snap or
spin capability.....F3A as I said is a totally different story.

I have said it before my opinion is worth what you paid for it.....

Troy Newman
# discussion-request at nsrca.org