Weight savings help!!

Ihncheol Park PatternFlyer at msn.com
Thu Feb 20 11:42:17 AKST 2003

Thanks to all those who replied directly and through the list.

My RTF weight without fuel is 9 pound.
And OOps, I forgot to say what the power plant is.
It is not a 120 size plane, although I heard several flying with YS120.
It is FAT for it's class with 5 & 1/8 inches width of fuse where the front
of wing goeses on and 4.75" for the back of the wing.
I believe this is wider than Desire 120 and Summit 120.
(I've been saying 4" before.  No idea why I thought it was 4")

The rudder post (13" high) at the bottom is 1 inch thick.
When I compared the fuse with Desire 120, it was almost same height.
Height at the back of the canopy is 9.5 inches.
There are a few pictures of this plane at my homepage.

http://www.geocities.com/beaton90/

It is a BeatOn 90.  67.7" (68") span & length.
YS 91AC, MK type rail mount, Hatori header w/ ES Carbon.
The prototype on a magazine review also had similar powerplant setup and
only weighed 3570g (7.75 pound) with Urethane painting one fuse.
I don't think I can repaint the fuse to loose a lot of weight.

If I build a new wing, I am hoping to save at least 100grams from 1160g.
I still have to weigh the foam core + the balsa + other woods that goes in
the wing.

The retracts w/ 136G(165g) + 7005 servos with extensions (100g) +
centralhobbies axles w/ wheels (22g) = 287g + about 12g for servo screws.
that is about 300g.
I was also suggested for using Bolly carbon gears and pants, but weight
saving is less than 10 grams.

The wing has belly pan supports like skirt and pipe mount.
Will I be able to build a one-piece, covered wing of 837 ~ 850 sq-in under
760g w/ belly pan support and pipe mount?

Thanks,

Ihncheol Park