YS .53 Issues - Please help

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 17:03:14 AKST 2003

I can't tell from your description if you removed the regulator body or just the adjuster screw. As viewed from side opposite the regulator screw, the regulator is made up of a silicone rubber diaphram (a thin disk), a brass plunger which passes through the body of the regulator, the silicone fuel valve on the stem side of the plunger, the sping, o-ring, and adjuster. From your description it sounds like the small silicone fuel valve on the stem side of the regulator is missing/damaged, allowing pressurized fuel to pass freely to the carburetor. Check out this picture at Central Hobbies http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engines/parts/YS140LEX.htm It has a clear picture of the regulator parts. (The YS53 picture shows the plunger on the wrong side of the regulator body) The plunger and the fuel valve are sold as a unit under one part number.  It and diaphram should be clear or nearly so (like clear silicone sealer looks when dry). If it is gummy, the goo you found could be the result of petroleum based after run oil. You should replace the diaphram and the plunger
 Van - E-Mail LIST <extra330 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:All, I purchased a used YS .     I removed the regulator screw, o-ring, piston and diaphragm, they where VERY gummy, so I cleaned them very well and re-installed. Motor runs better, and will idle around 2500 as of now, but fuel POURS out of the carb even if I have the throttle closed off. I'm using 20% Cool Power with added oil to bring the content to 20%, and OS "Type F" plugs. APC 11x7 prop The motor is set at 2 1/2 turns open on the High Speed needle, and 1 turn open on the low needle. The check valve I am using is from an OS 1.40, not a YS, there was no YS valve with this engine. Questions:  1 - Why the fuel pouring out of the carb ?2 - How do I get the idle better adjusted.3 - Should any further cleaning be done to the engine ? Much thanks ! ________________________________________
Van Flowers
NSRCA "K-Factor" Advertising Manager
AMA 6216,  NSRCA 2778
813-784-3794