avoidance-er uh 45 down snappin'

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Sun Feb 16 05:22:20 AKST 2003

wgalligan wrote:

> Just out of curiousity...  why was the Imm/45 down snap removed from
> the schedule at the last minute?

At the time of the contest board vote, there was considerable concern
about the safety of the 45 degree down snap roll maneuver by many of the
contest board members.  All the maneuver schedule changes were packaged
as a single vote and affirmative votes of the eleven board members is
required for passage of a rule change.  It was felt that the votes were
not there for passage.  Since a negative result of the voting would have
caused all of the proposed maneuver schedule changes to be thrown out, a
compromise was reached by removing the 45 degree down snap roll.  Just
why the Immelmann Turn was removed, I can't say.  Why an alternative
maneuver to the 45 down snap wasn't added, I also can't say.

Ron Van Putte