Some Advice/Mentoring an 18yo HS Senior

Larry Krutz lkrutz89503 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 15:08:31 AKST 2003

Jerry: I have worked with many newbies over the years
using many different trainers and I find the following
to be true. To start with use a buddy box. All the
trainers have a flat bottom wing which works very
well. The best engine for the money is the OS 46FX.
Good performance for medium price range. Easy to tune
and plenty of power. Also replace the bendable bouncy
landing gear with one of the composites available. It
costs around $20, but its worth its weight in gold.
Saves many broken props etc.
I can recommend the Midwest Aerostar as an excellent
trainer. The original is 40 powered and they also have
a 60 size available. The kits are well done with an
excellent assembly manual.
Sounds like you have a student that wants to do it
right. And she has been successful in many other areas
which require concentration and practice. Good
combination! Good Luck!! regards   LK