EconoKote vs. MonoKote

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Thu Feb 13 11:23:48 AKST 2003

There's no special worries for using Econocote on foam wings.  Since
standard covering procedure is to keep your iron at the lowest setting
that will activate the adhesive and provide minimum shrinkage, Econocote
should be theoretically safter than Monocote. HOWEVER, my experience with
the stuff has lead me to the conclusion to only use it if I have to.  I
think it sticks worse than monocote and the adhesive lets go with less
wear (and expecially if fuel gets on a seam).  It is thinner, and shows
surface imperfections more and is less opaque.  It's overall shrink is
less than monocote so is more difficult going around compound curves.
  I would guess that your adhesion problems are not universal.  I mean,
they are in certain spots.  Balsarite the critical areas (around the
perimeters) and try again.  If, worst case, the covering only sticks in
these areas, the finish can still be made to look good with a heat gun.

--Lance

Paul Reed <paul at judco.net>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
02/13/2003 12:24 PM