Malibu ??

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Tue Feb 11 05:21:11 AKST 2003

JOddino wrote:

> A Rhett story.
> I got to the Nats on the last day of qualifying in 1972 and Bill
> Salkowski said I should see this kid that is up just before him.
> Turns out the kid was great but the judges had never heard of him and
> so he didn't qualify for the finals.
> The next year the boys from the South talked him up all year and he
> had it won before he got there.
> There is a big message here.  The game is a lot more complicated than
> just flying well.  If you want to win you need to understand the game.

That's an interesting story.  Rhett was nearly unbeatable from
1972-1976.  He won almost everything in sight, including four straight
Nats.  In 1976, when he won his last Nats, he was 19 years old.  This
means that when Jim saw him in 1972, Rhett was only 15 years old!  He
was incredibly mature for his age and a wonderful ambassador for our
sport.   His Dad was extremely supportive.  Great combination.

Ron Van Putte