Thoughts about air scoops.

Thomas C. Weedon weedon at wwnet.net
Wed Feb 5 13:06:00 AKST 2003

I had a mid-air this last summer that slightly damaged the nose of my plane.
Eric H. suggested that when I repair the nose, I should add an air scoop
just above the rear bearing of my YS-120FZ. He said that it would help cool
the rear bearings and would improve my top RPM. Guess what? He's right! My
engine had a little more power. The rev's increased about 100 to 150 RPM on
the ground and I noticed an improvement in the verticals. So, now I'm
finishing a new fuse and I'm adding another air scoop over the rear of my
YS-140FZ. I think it will help.
Tom Weedon