Thoughts about air scoops.

ronlock ronlock at comcast.net
Tue Feb 4 18:48:17 AKST 2003

I set up my cowls with 2 times the exit air area, as intake area.
A backwards scoop would work for exit air.

So does a scoop that projects into the cowl - sort of
an intake scoop, installed backwards, and on the inside
of the cowl.   With a glas cowl, they are fairly easy to make.
For a 1/2 inch wide exit air scoop, pick a spot to rear of engine,
and plan to cut out a rectangular piece out of the cowl, about
1/2 inch wide,  about 2 to 3 inches long (longitudinal direction).
Cut ONLY the two long sides, and the 1/2 inch side to rear.
Push the front end of the cut glas into the cowl about 3/8 inch.
Install two hard balsa triangular pieces at each side, 2 to 3
inches wide, and 3/8 at base of triangle.

Or,  you can cut the front end of the rectangular scoop shape,
and make an air intake scoop.

Later, Ron Lockhart