avoidance rule

Del Rykert drykert at rochester.rr.com
Tue Feb 4 10:50:54 AKST 2003

I luckily haven't had a midair yet and flying since 1970 and pattern since '79. I have developed what I consider good situational awareness that I attribute to flying and shooting. I do choose to fly a different line when flying with pattern pilots especially when they demonstrate skill to maintain their craft on a given line. I try to enter the box with timing that will put me in flow with their pattern if I have the luxury.

Also like Ron I no longer fly with average sport pilots at many fields as they are all over the sky and unpredictable in the flight path they will be using. I feel it has hurt my scores but it has helped avoid midair's. Is it fool proof? Of course not! But it has helped and I will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

     Del K. Rykert
     AMA - 8928
     NSRCA - 473
     Kb2joi - General