Swallow ARF

Henderson,Eric eric.henderson at gartner.com
Tue Feb 4 06:59:36 AKST 2003

It seems that we all have Swallows that are waiting to fly. Mine was a pretty good kit arts and quality wise, but the nose was not right. The former in front of the wing was canted and made it hard to judge the firewall. The engine did line up with the cowl.  Also I used a 12" wooden ruler center-bolted to the engine to check thrust lines.  You can measure the difference from the tail. A 48" stiff metal ruler laid out from the tail allows a protractor to be sighted down on the "ruler/prop" for side thrust. Similarly for down thrust.

Mine were to spec. This is a well balanced plane speaking side area and planform area wise. It is not a wide-body so the more familiar side thrust should be enough.

Regards,

Eric.