First Flight Centennial

Bryan Kennedy bryan.kennedy at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 20 06:48:43 AKST 2003

I do not post very often, but I just wanted to share with everyone my
thoughts on this subject. I was there. Spent the entire week on the Outer
banks. First of all, the Centennial Celebration was the most well run event
I have ever been to. As far as I am concerned it was a huge success, even
the flight. I agree with you Ed, they had to try. Unfortunately they
experienced what Orville and Wilbur did many times. Not enough wind.
Actually that is why they did not fly until the 17th in 1903. They had
planned on flying much earlier so they could be home in Dayton for
Christmas. I was able to get within a few feet of the flyer on Saturday,
took lots of pictures, and they ran the engine that day. That was worth the
entire trip. It is amazing since there was very little information left
behind on the actual flyer what a great job the folks at Wright Experience
did re-creating the machine.

I just have to say it was one of those "Once in a Lifetime" experiences and
I was very excited to be there. soaking wet, cold, but so excited when they
tried even if there was only 3mph of wind.

I will never forget it, and what the Wright brothers have done for aviation.
It truly was 12 seconds that changed the world.

Bryan Kennedy
AMA 1744
NSRCA 1744
D3