Wright Flyer.

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Thu Dec 18 22:28:35 AKST 2003

The 1903 Flyer was flown with ~ minus 23% static margin (the center
of gravity is located 23% of the mean aerodynamic chord behind the
neutral point).  That's very pitch unstable.  Fortunately the dynamic
pressure is low (a function of velocity squared) so the time to
double amplitude is not so short making it flyable (barely).  The
lack of pitch control authority and low pitch damping along with some
hysteresis and a low wing/power loading didn't help either.

About 15 years ago I was able to fly the CalSpan Variability
Stability LearJet for about 90 minutes as part of an accelerated
placement program at work.  The flight demonstration illustrated how
different aircraft instability levels, time delays, and stick gearing
functions can adversely impact precise tracking trasks and pilot
handling quality ratings.

We (the guy in the left seat was an Israeli F-4 ace) flew several
aircraft and stick combinations (conventional center stick, stickside
with stick force, sidestick with force/displacement combination, and
with stick centering turned off.  The two aircraft I remember the
most are the X-29 (with SAS off) and the Wright Flyer.  Even though
the X-29 was more unstable in pitch than the Wright Flyer, it was
much easier to fly (probably due to the much greater pitch control
authority of the X-29A ).  Conducting precise tracking tasks were out
of the question, however it was surprising how easy it was to keep
the "pointy end" forward for more than a few seconds.

Oh, and it was educational and fun too!   : )

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com