Wright Flyer.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Thu Dec 18 06:26:41 AKST 2003

--On Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:26 AM -0600 Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> Just watched a show on the History channel last night.  The Wrights used wing
> warping, without knowing at the time about adverse yaw.

That's true of their 1899 kite and their first two gliders (1900 & 1901).

> (They later corrected this omission with a steerable rudder.)

Right.  The 1902 glider was the basis of their 1906 patent.  It
had 3-axis control.

> Looking at their difficulties, it is hard to believe they enjoyed
> the level of success they did.

1. They became excellent pilots.

2. They waited for a good day.

3. They learned from their mistakes.

> Several replicators
> on this TV show changed things so much I would be embarrassed
> to call it a Wright Flyer.

The groups that made the biggest changes knew that they
were sacrificing authenticity for flyability.

> ... I couldn't help but be filled with awe and reverence
> at what the Wrights had accomplished.

Yes.  I think all the groups would agree on that--they
couldn't say enough good things about their methods,
their dedication, their patience, and their wisdom.

						Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org