Winter projects

Nat Penton natpenton at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 17 19:52:16 AKST 2003

It is getting late in the game, but regardless, I need to buy a present for a 7 year old. Who makes the best quality ARF trainer ?        natpenton at centurytel.net
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Henderson,Eric
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:11 PM
  Subject: Winter projects

   It looks like XMAS is coming early to my workshop.

  I have been told that a FOCUS-2 is on its way, no sleigh needed!

  I can't remember if I mentioned it but at the BARKs end of season contest they had a drawing, courtesy of Piedmont models, of a FOCUS-2. All the entrants have their name put into a hat and of all the people to win a FOCUS-2, luckily, it was me! Now I get one that will arrive about XMAS time. (Look for a review ASAP and flying as soon as there is daylight above 45F in South Jersey.)

  For those of you waiting to order one I would suggest that you move quickly as I hear that quite a few have already been earmarked for shipping to those who pre-ordered. The Piedmont guys have flown the prototypes and are openly excited about the flight performance and power to weight ratio.

  What I like about the 2 is that they went to a top loader with and optionally removable pipe tunnel. I have relatively big hands and a top loader allows me to keep the skin on the back of my hands.

  Just as much fun was the delivery today of a Desert Aircraft DA50 for my Double Vision ARF. I was very impressed with the quality of workmanship. I was surprised to feel how light a 50cc motor was in my hands. It has a rear carb and in this case a nice big Slimline smoke muffler.

  No I won't be putting the DA 50 into the FOCUS-2, but it won't be long before we see viable gas engines on the front of our 2M models A 50cc motor that weighs 48 oz starts to get very close to our needs. A 23 x 12 prop also gets very interesting  - just fantasizing - it's healthy you know!

  What are you all expecting or already have in your possession to cure your winter blues.

  Regards

  Eric.