Fw: DIY cable channel - Hobby visions show. - No Direct TV

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Tue Dec 9 19:28:06 AKST 2003

It's just a line-of-sight issue.  However, many people (including
some installers) fail to understand that with the small offset-feed
Ku-band dishes being used the "look angle" to the satellite arc is
higher than it appears when looking at the dish face.  A good general
rule of thumb for "big ugly dishes" (BUD - pun intended) is that if
the dish sees sunlight throughout the day, there is no obstruction
problem (this is really only true during the vernal (spring and fall)
equinox but it's close enough to eyeball it the rest of the year).
For a small "pizza" dish that would only need to be true during the
portion of the day when the sun is in the same quadrant of the sky as
the satellite you are receiving signal from.

Also, signals in the C & Ku frequency band range are line-of-sight
and are severely attenuated by dense objects (such as houses) and
anything containing water (tree leaves absolutely kill rf in the
summer).  One of the nice things about "cable in a box" is that you
don't kave to be able to see the entire arc, just the particular
satellite you are getting your feed from.  The downside is it isn't
any cheaper than cable, you can't get everything you can with a BUD,
nor is the picture quality as good as a BUD.

Geographically, signal strength distribution across the US is more
than adequate (really overkill), so if you're not able to get
reception it's either a line-of-sight obstruction issue, you have bad
equipment, or your installer is an idiot.

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com