Website for ZN Hydeaway

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Sun Dec 7 20:36:59 AKST 2003

Rex,

I like a more forward CG...So many other people out there like their models
tail heavy. I guess it a preference thing...But I really found it tough to
get the models to track right and consistent with a  rearward CG like
everybody else flies.

I tune the radio to give a little more down elevator than up and a little
less expo on the down elev and you can't tell the difference other than the
forward Cg flies better. I guess it is all personal preference but I can't
fly those neutral airplanes everybody setups with no or very little down
elevator inverted....Its like a flying a kite and I don't feel like I'm in
control on the model as well.

Been flying a Focus a little bit and I'm about 3/4" forward than their
forward CG and its a 7/8" ahead of the wing tube front edge. The plane
tracks very very well at this CG but requires rudder in the rolls and
elevator in inverted....Guess what this is where Don Szcur is flying his
focus...Maybe a forward Cg has something to do with flying in a straight
line?

Ok I digress, the forward tank location all be it only slightly forward
helps accommodate the forward CG. It gives me a little better tracking and
not adding any weight to the model.

I know this is where Dave Villwok and Chip both flew their tanks...I don't
think its an issue with CG shift in flight...From a full to a empty tank I'm
shifting 8mm....I'm not flying for long with a full tank...and I'm not for
long at all with an empty tank. So is my CG really shifting much in the
air....Nope....Oh and it takes 1 click of trim after a 13 min flight to
accommodate the Cg shift..Trim rate is an absolute smallest increment and
the Travel Volume and rates are 140%(Trav. and 100%rate) 12 degs of
travel....Can't get any more throw unless its changing the servo arm....So
that one click is real Small.

Oh mine needed a little more right thrust...another thing many don't like to
to have...

Good Luck and let me know how it comes out.

TN

>From: "Rex Lesher" <trex at pacwest.net>
>To: <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: Re: Website for ZN Hydeaway
>Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:08:28 -0800
>
>Troy
>
>Thanks for the info.  The plans show nothing.  I have already raised the
>wing.  I also used a cf stab tube.  I have been a little bewildered about
>the fuel tank placement.  With the raised wing tube, I'd have to cut the
>canopy floor and let the tank stick up through there to get it on the c.g.
>I know that having the tank in front of the c.g. probably doesn't hurt that
>much, but it would be better.  That's one less problem to worry about.  I'm
>glad to get your info on the incidence and the reference line.  I don't
>really have the time for all the trial and error that I could see coming
>up.  I was talking to Dave Villwock about the wing placement and he told me
>that he has flown several with the wing raised.  He had me raise the wing
>5/8 of an inch.  He had just moved his 1/2 inch and had the same experience
>you stated.  He figured another eighth might get rid of all the mix.  So,
>I'll try it and see how it goes.
>Thanks again for all the info
>
>Rex Lesher
>3117

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

# discussion-request at nsrca.org