Winter / Focus / Fuel

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Dec 4 10:21:44 AKST 2003

Before this year was about 1/2 the flying. Around 50-60 gallons a year. This
was with a full time 8-4:30 job too.
Get off work and go stick about 4-5 flights at night.

I had one goal and one goal only. To make the Finals at the Team Trials.
This commitment and challenge was a driving force behind my flying. There
were times that I flew like crap for a couple days in a row. There were lots
of ups and downs. The Week before the Teams, I couldn't find my rear end
with both hands. It was a struggle to keep the head above water.

In the end the one thing that drove me more than anything else is the old
saying "keep your eye on the prize" I knew if I could be flying well enough
at the Team Trials to make the finals all the hard work would have paid off.
It was going to be the hardest toughest competition I had ever seen...And it
was! Everybody was geared up and ready to go.

The Drive and Determination to reach a goal is a powerful thing. Luck helps
too and there was a bunch of luck on my side this year. I have heard said
that Preparation enables you to take advantage of luck when it smiles on
you.

Like with all things if you are better prepared than your competition then
you have nothing to fear. The best flyer usually wins, but if you are
prepared you don't give the competition anything. They earn everything they
get.  I learned a few extra little things this year and with a little luck
perhaps I will be even better prepared for next time. My competition are all
my friends. Dave and I are very close and we have been at each others
throats all year long. Dave and I have been great competition for each other
since back in 98' in Masters class when Dave won the NATS. The fun thing
about it is...my friends and competitors will go the extra mile to help me
just like I will do to help them. Look at Peter Collinson at the NATS finals
this year....Everyone in the finals flying against Peter was helping him get
his flight in.

So to answer the question do you need to fly 1000 fights year to have
success? It depends on your goals. Dave and I both made big strides this
year in the quality of our flying. I think the extra flying we put in is a
major factor in the improvement...Not just in the rankings but in the
quality and consistency of our flying. The quality goes up every single
year, for all in the class. What would have made the grade last year won't
work for this year. Everybody gets better with time and practice. So it
depends on your goals and what you want to achieve.

My primary goal is to be the best flyer I can be.

I asked one of the top flyers last year ---what is the best way to get to
the World Championships? His answer was like Kung Fu....."The question is
really not how you get there but WHY do you want to go. If you know why you
want to go then the way to get there is easy."

Why is always a tough question. For me the why:  I want to be a better pilot
than I am right now. How do I become a better pilot than I am now.....?

Coaches help and I had many many people help me out this year.

But it all boils down to one thing...I have a huge amount to learn and the
way to learn it is.......practice!

Troy