prop speed; when does it create drag?

Amir Neshati amirneshati at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 00:31:39 AKST 2003

It is likely  that if our airplane speed is greater than approximately 1.2
times the
pitch speed, then there is a good chance the prop isn't making much thrust
and  it's starting to  create drag.....The larger this ratio, the more drag,
which
means at idle on a down line, the prop has more drag at the bottom than at
the top/start of a down line.

The pitch marked on our props is measured from the bottom surface of the
prop and not the camber, it would be like measuring our wing incidence
from the bottom surface of the wing...So, calculating speed by the marked
pitch will yield slower than actual flight speeds, hence the 1.2 times.

I've flown a few planes with very accurate telemetry on board.....One of
them
with a 15x8  APC turning at 8000 on the ground. It was a 20 lbs. machine
with
about 850 squares (Yes, there was once a plane heavier than Wayne's Prophecy
;-)
Calculated pitch speed will only yield 60 MPH top speed, assuming the engine
didn't unload.
However, actual speed was always around 75 MPH.....This airplane was fairly
clean.
The engine unloaded another 200ish RPMs in the air...... I even flew a 12'
span Telemaster
with struts and that sleek flat bottom wing and it was going 15%+ better
than pitch speed.

This was also tested on a buddy's race plane with the same results.

It is my understanding from our guru airplane fellow, that actual speed is
about 20% higher
than the pitch speed. Give or take 5% depending on how clean or dragy the
plane...So an
airplane with a 12 pitch prop in front of it turning 8500 is capable of
doing around 120 mph
at full throttle (unloaded rpm counts as added speed too).

At 1800 RPMs, with a 12 pitch, the prop has a pitch speed of 20 MPH. Add
that 20%
and an actual speed of approx. 24 MPH.....If the plane is going faster,
you've got drag.
In other words, if ya'll are boogi-yin' along at 100 mph and chop the
throttle down to 1800
rpms, you've got breaks!

So, what's the best RPM for breaking on the down lines? Heck if I know....

Amir

# discussion-request at nsrca.org