Winter / Focus / Fuel

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Wed Dec 3 08:23:20 AKST 2003

 What is interesting is "when" we burn the fuel.

In the Northeast you don't get the chance to burn much fuel before the Nationals (Usually late July). Burning 50 gallons after the Nationals does some good for the next year but the winter can soon dull the newly acquired muscle memory.

I find that my spatial accuracy, (principally the  exit direction out of turn-around maneuvers), does not carry over through the winter and usually comes back just after July, of course!

Moving from Boston to NJ made things a bit better but it is still hard to get good practice weather and more than one contest in before the pilgrimage to Muncie. If you accept the principal that a primary concept of what we do is PRACTICED aerobatics, it does leave the colder regions at a disadvantage, no matter how much fuel we burn.

As regards, where do the best flyers come from? we will never really know as long as we keep the Nationals out of range of the areas where they can fly (Practice) the most. I does tend to look like those that make the trek make from the warm climes, make the grade.

Eric.
# discussion-request at nsrca.org