CTE

Del Rykert drykert at rochester.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 11:49:30 AKST 2003

It's been here over 2 weeks now..
    dkr
----- Original Message -----
From: "Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com>
To: <discussion at nsrca.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:10 AM
Subject: RE: CTE

Winter came early.

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-request at nsrca.org
[mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org]On Behalf Of JOddino
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 11:57 AM
To: discussion at nsrca.org

Hi Jerry,
I think you did a bait and switch.  Using your numbers, the smallest
increment at the servo is .088 degrees.  But if you are reducing the throw
from 90 degrees at the servo to 30 degrees at the surface, the smallest
increment at the surface is .088/3 = .029 degrees.  That is very good.
In the real world you can't get all of the 1024 steps due to trim and
subtrim overhead.  If you want better resolution you need to go to a
programmable servo like the Hitec or a servo set up with less throw like the
4000 Super Servos that had about 60 degrees total.  You could make full
travel of the Hitec 30 degrees for 1024 steps.  The problem with that is
gear slop and linkage slop get to be a larger percentage and you have no
mechanical advantage so your torque at the surface is decreased.  Speed
would be great though.  As with most things it is a trade off.  I always
figured .1 degrees at the surface was fine.
Jim