Engine runs lean, old Webra 61. Who can help?

Urs Baertschiger ursbaertschiger at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 00:59:19 AKST 2003

Thanks again to all who offered help. - Due to poor weather and temperatures
below freezing point I didn't do any test runs during the weekend. If
weather conditions improve a bit I shall try in the course of this week.

Dave: Sorry, forgot to mention that. The pipe was the very first thing I
checked and I keep watching it. No clogging, no loose baffle. Compared it
with a almost new Hatori original I can't notice any difference in back
pressure.
Tank center line is about 1/2" above the needle valve. Hence I didn't supply
pipe pressure to the tank thinking this wasn't necessary for test runs on
the ground.
Lean idling and midrange due to worn brass bar/sleeve are known as you
mention it, but so far I never noticed any impact on full throttle.
As I disassembled the carb I had checked the fuel metering slot very
carefully. It is OK.
At present another Dynamix carb is fitted to the engine but, as stated
before, the problem is exactly the same.

Del: Yes, I think you are right. There is definitely a feeding problem. I
sure do what Tony suggested. A check indicated that the carb was and still
is set up as he said.
Fuel lines are of max. diam. I can fit. - You don't sound insulting at all.
I very much appreciate your comments.

Nedim: Thanks, good to know that the combination Dynamix carb and pipe
pressure doesn't work. So I am not going to try that again. Also, since you
experienced pump problems on these engines I certainly will wach and check
the pump as you say. The only thing that amazes me a bit is the fact that in
all these years past we never had a failing pump. Hence I'd never expected
the pump to be a problem. But there again, it's been a long time ago and
this engine hasn't been run for years in between.

Many thanks again and kind regards

Urs
NSRCA #3069

# discussion-request at nsrca.org