Lithium or Not ?

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 09:32:53 AKDT 2003

Question about lithium packs, I hear that lithium cells fail open and if you
experience an open cell it's all over 0 volts out and that lithium packs have
an over current safety switch built in to prevent over heating in case the
current charge or discharge is to high is this true?
I currently use 1100 mah NiCad 4 cell pack's and know if a cell fails you
still have three cells that may get you down safely, in fact I had have this
happen once.
Other than a slight weight savings and more flight time are there any other
advantages / disadvantages with lithium packs.
Also my in-flight battery failsafe will not work properly if higher voltage
packs are used, can this be reset to function with higher voltage packs
regulated or UN regulated on the Futaba 9 ZAP PCM radio system?
Buddy