remedial engine question

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Mon Aug 25 09:11:29 AKDT 2003

Boca has an SS bearing that works well in OS 1.40's. I change my OS engines to Stainless Steel (SS), as a matter of course, before I run any new OS engine these days.

The after run spray that Dean and Dave use seems to keep the original bearings clear of rust. It's the cage that rusts quickly and then forms "grinding paste" from the oil and rust powder deposits.

You can also get SS bearings from local bearing suppliers for around $15-18. Just take in the old one and by at least $25's worth and they will be happy.

In your case you might have sealed bearings. The rubber sometimes expands and rubs on the crankshaft.

The only time I have heard squeaking, however, was when a ring went soft from over heating. Best idea would be to take a look.

Eric.