Electric Pattern Planes........

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Sun Aug 17 07:40:17 AKDT 2003

In the spirit of sharing information, I've had more than one person contact
me about electric conversion of an Aries (www.aeroslave.com).  I am not yet
knowledgeable in this area, but I've been told that this plane has some
attractive features for electric conversion:
1. large wing area keeps flying at lower speeds or power
2. enclosed belly allows pipe tunnel to be used as a battery housing and get
sufficient cooling
3. wide fuse allows the batteries, mounting structure, and pipe tunnel
covering to fit below the electronics

My concern is that the standard layup is carbon reinforced in the nose and
this weight can be eliminated for a known electric customer.  Since we do
customized layups, maybe there are other ways to lose some weight in
manufacturing.

I'll surely learn more as I work with existing customers.

--Lance