Electrics - Cost is not as bad as it appears

Rick Kent knowhow3 at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 12 06:58:11 AKDT 2003

It's hard to imagine a flying scenario in which I'd need 4 LiPo battery
packs at the field with me for one day's flying, with one airplane,
considering that you can get 2 to 3 flights per battery, per charge. One can
always recharge at the field. Fly your first pack out, toss it on the
charger, and fly on the second pack while #1 recharges. Unless your routine
is to fly 8 to12 flights a day with one airplane, one right after the other,
anything over 2 packs would be overkill IMO. And then, transmitter battery
duration would begin to come into the picture.
Obviously, at the WC, one needs to be "overprepared" for any contingency,
especially with largely new technology/equipment. In that unique case,
multiple spares would be a good idea. I imagine JS likely has a spare motor
and gearbox on hand, too. Necessary? Probably/hopefully not. But good to
have if you toast a motor or something a long way from home.
Just my pair o' pennies' worth.

Rick