Poland - electric

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Wed Aug 6 05:56:23 AKDT 2003

--On Wednesday, August 06, 2003 1:33 PM +1000 PENNISI Peter <Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au> wrote:

> Let's be hypothetical and say a pilot shows up at a team trial with the
> latest state of the art ship and makes the team. Lets say the same pilot
> shows up at a world champs with a 40 sized trainer (which he sells or
> endorses) which he has no chance of being competitive but would certainly
> draw a lot of attention, when I see this as a problem - lets say a conflict
> of interest for the sake of the rest of the team.

I disagree with your hypotheses.

Someone who wants to sell products wants to win.

There is therefore no conflict of interest.

We want the USA to win.

He wants to win representing the USA.

He is a free agent under the current regulations to
change equipment as he pleases.

More power to him.

> If a pilot chooses to change his equipment prior to a major event and is
> part of a national team then it should be discussed with the rest of the
> team as I am sure they do not want to compromise their standing as a team.
> The team manger should have the final say as he is representing the team.

You are assuming that he has chosen inferior equipment (a 4-size
trainer).  I assume that he is choosing what he thinks will
win (state-of-the-art silent power).  The fact that his success
may earn him some money seems to me to be irrelevant.  The
money-motivation is the same as that of pure patriotism:
to win the tournament.

	Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org