Ahh I love the smell of nitro in the morning

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Tue Aug 5 15:20:15 AKDT 2003

Earl Vincent wrote:

> Hey guys, this electric thing is great, we can put all the model
> engines, glow and gas and wth, throw in all the Nascar and drag racing
> motors because I am sure they will all be going electric asap. A
> friend of mine that raced nitro dragsters years ago said it was all
> about the smell, burning nitro has the smell of power and that has
> hooked many a drag racer and modeler, maybe the rest of the sport is
> just to have an excuse to burn more nitro, I can see it now electric
> pattern planes with a nitro scented flare burning in the pipe tunnel
> to make smell and simulate engine smoke trail, it sounds good to me.
> Let me know where to get the electric motors and batteries, I will be
> working on the flare.

Several years ago, when you had to have a 4-stroke motor in order to be
considered a 'serious Pattern flier', John Fuqua was competing with a
Hanno Special 61.  We taped the engine sounds from the flight of another
pilot, who used a 4-stroke motor, and played it back behind the judges
while John flew.  The judges were not amused.  We couldn't imagine why not.

Ron Van Putte