Poland - Electric.

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Tue Aug 5 09:03:51 AKDT 2003

Awww c'mon Ron ...
that's just because you and I both remember the stink when the U.S. team all went to the Worlds with Lanier ARF versions of their ships! Now that was a stink, 'cause there were genuine concerns about the then-existant builder-of-the-model rules. Did assembling and ARF qualify as enough building? The Jury actually had to rule on it.

Now, no one seriously complained in '91 when Chip used a four-cycle to qualify and then used the two-stroke that was in his sponsor's best interest to win the Worlds in Wangaratta. He modified a Jekyll (the original one) with a bigger wing just to carry the additional weight of the four-stroke, because the domestic perception in '91 was that you were "behind the development curve" if you were still flying a two-stroke 60. It all made sense.

If (we are talking in the air, here until it actually happens) Jason flies the electric ship at the Worlds, it will be because it makes sense, now. I just hope there won't be three other guys doing the same thing. It still makes sense, and I am more than content to let him decide what equipment works for him. Who else would decide?

We select teams here in the U.S. based upon the results of a contest that measures how well each competitior would do assuming he makes the finals at the big show. If we seriously wanted to pick teams to win team championships, we would only fly the prelims at the TT. This last point could be argued ad nauseum. Since we select individulas to do well individually, let's leave them do that.

Go Jay ... Go Team
    Dean P.