Original Pattern Model

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Mon Aug 4 15:59:44 AKDT 2003

The question assumes that a particular design suddenly appeared.  They
were flying aerobatic airplanes in the late 50s and early 60s.  I
started flying in 1954, but I can't remember anyone trying to do more
than a simple loop for many years.  The radios just weren't up to the task.

The first airplane/radio combinations I saw which were aerobatic enough
to be called Pattern airplanes was in about 1960 or 1961.  They were the
Astro Hog, Smog Hog and the Stormer.  Later I saw the Orion and Taurus
at an invitational in Detroit about 1963.  This remembering stuff has
dried out my brain; I think I'll have a beer.

Ron Van Putte