Original Pattern Model

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 10:03:11 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 8/4/2003 1:51:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, randy10926 at comcast.net writes:

> Well what was the original pattern model?
>
> Was it the Orion?  A gentleman from NVRC scratch build one of these and here is
> a photo of them. http://www.1nvrc.com/.  It has ben flown
> with a green head 45
> and a veco 45 (our however you spell it).
>
> Randy Hatfield

The latest issue of RCM (Sept 2003) has a nice history of aerobatic models written by Don Lowe.  It traces the earliest rudder only models forward to our 3D versions as well as describing the radio technology improvements.  The Orion and that vintage aerobatic model represented a significant step forward in capability and aerodynamics toward what we call a 'pattern plane' today.

I really enjoyed the article and was shocked at how many of the planes I recognized or had built  (yeah, I know    age showing!!!)   ;-)

Don Atwood
# discussion-request at nsrca.org