servo question

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Aug 1 09:01:23 AKDT 2003

Jon,

you will be surprised at the precision you gain.....I was believe me....its
huge....60% low rates are killing the precision of your model. If you are
going to try to improve your flying you need to improve your setup.

I have been doing this a long time and been fairly successful with it...and
just this past spring I found that I was not using the equipment to its
potential....my answer was well I'm close and my setup is clean and
neat....followed all the rules about square pushrod to the servo horn (not
the servo case but the arm)...and use stiff friction free linkages....and so
on...Well my low rates that I do everything on were down in the 60-70%
range.

I went in one hole on the servo arm and dialed out the control horns on the
surface...and man alive Rate values went up to 90 and 100%...hitting lines
and points became soooooo much easier. Servo pot wear was less of a factor
and yes my flying got better overnight! Huge improvements.

I would have called BS on this before...I would have figured hey I've got a
good setup. What I did do was over compensate for lack of mechanical
advantage with speed and power of the servo....Now that I have the
mechanical advantage the speed and power of the servo are working for me.
Servos especially the performance servos we use in competition models are an
investment. Whether its a $70 4131 or a $100 digital you are paying for the
performance of the servo....Why would you short change the servo by sticking
it in a position where its working so hard just to maintain. Give it the
right setup and environment and you will be able to feel the difference too.

Troy Newman