Painting

Keith Black tkeithb at attbi.com
Mon Apr 28 20:18:58 AKDT 2003

First off I need to point out that I'm a super duper novice at painting, but
I'm learning (the hard way in most cases). Also, given that I don't know
your color scheme my comments may not apply, but here it goes anyway.

When I painted my Aries I tried to make sure to lay down the lighter colors
first and then cover with the darker colors. This allowed me to butt the
colors up to each other while only laying down one tape strip between
colors.

For example, I painted the bottom 3/4 of the plane white with no masking at
all. Then I masked off everything I wanted to leave white and sprayed my
yellow coat. Note, that I didn't worry about masking areas that would be
painted the next color (red), I just allowed the yellow to overlap those
areas slightly. I then masked off everything I wanted to stay yellow or
white and sprayed my red coat. This means that the red was sprayed over the
yellow where the yellow and red meet, but since red easily covers yellow I
didn't worry about it.  I then masked off everything except for a strip I
wanted to paint dark blue and then sprayed the dark blue.

To me this seemed like a good approach because laying down a tape strip
exactly on an existing color line seems like it would be very difficult and
error prone. I just didn't worry if an earlier color accidentally sprayed on
a location that would be covered by a later (darker) color. BTW, my seams
came out great.

I suppose that my practices may be a bad idea in some cases if the color
being sprayed over a previous color is light enough to have its tint altered
by the lower color, however in my case it worked fine. After everything was
complete you wouldn't have any idea that there is yellow under the red,
white under the yellow, etc. Using this approach my seams came out fine.

As to sanding the seams I was advised to wait until I had all colors down
before sanding, however I never re-taped a seam as you are describing.

Hopefully these comments aren't totally off in left field :-)

Keith Black