Painting

Van - Mail List - Road Runner extra330 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 18:01:55 AKDT 2003

I think there are a lot of different ways to paint, and mask. I personally
like to use IMRON or CENTARI single stage paint, and then clear coat the
final product. These paints are single stage, and ( for my preference ) a
bit easier to work with.

3M Fine Line is perfect tape to use, make sure it is pressed down well
around the outline you are about to paint. I apply a tack coat, then go back
and add a wet coat a couple minutes after the tack coat. Depending on the
temperature outside, I will usually peel ( CAREFULLY ) my fine line tape and
masking, about 15 minutes or so, after I have applied my wet coat.

what this does is allows the paint to "lay down" on the surface as it
continues to cure, and not create the tape seam that you are referring to.
It's tricky to do, and patience is the key. Wait about 8 to 10 hrs to tape
the pattern for your next color, and repeat. Once all my colors are on, I
will wet sand with 600, apply any decals ( vinyl ) and then clear coat the
entire bird.

Again, this is the way I was taught, and paint, and I have been painting
with very nice results for a long time using this method.

Hope this helps answer your question,

Van

Van Flowers
World Aerobatic Freestyle Championships - 2003
Logistics Coordinator
http://www.freestyle-2003.com <http://www.freestyle-2003.com/>