Quiet pattern planes

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 13:16:48 AKDT 2003

Ron,

I afraid we are fighting a tough fight and don't really have that much ammo.
I'll give an example:

Last weekend I got to race my Sport 300 plane in a sanctioned race down here
in Florida. This is racing of 2 meter sized models at 120 mph, with up to a
2.2 cuin up front.

Everybody else is using a hard mounted engine with a ST 3000/3500, MDS 2.18,
Moki 1.8/2,1 and the like, generally running nitro pipes and similar props to
those we fly in pattern.

I soft mounted my Moki 1.8 and used a Macs 35cc quiet pipe. That is all I
did. Noise difference was around 10 dB. There was no real cost difference
since I make my own soft mounts
.The noise difference was deafening, so to speak.

And my set up was every bit as fast as everyone else's, since I won three out
five heats. BUT, guess what? Nobody took it seriously since IT didn't SOUND
FAST.

I believe that loud noise is trully dumb in this stage of the game. But also
think that for those clubs that are not in danger of losing sites, loud noise
attracts

ragards

MattK