Quiet pattern planes

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Sat Apr 19 13:01:33 AKDT 2003

Ron & all:
They notice; they really notice.  Awhile back, we were going to put on a
pattern meet at our field, after the club disallowed IMAC because of the
noise.  I happen to be the only pattern flyer in the club, and the
members have all heard and seen my pattern planes.
I asked:  "What are we to do about our rule which states no flying until
noon on Sunday?"
Just about everyone in the club meeting quickly said "Well, that's for
sport stuff.  Pattern airplanes don't bother the neighbors."
I suspect that isn't an uncommon attitude, at fields where noise is the
main nuisance.
If there happens to be an influential sorehead in the area.......well,
the airplanes could be silent and still not be welcome.

Bill Glaze