RIP Fed Exd

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Apr 14 08:06:20 AKDT 2003

Somehow this failure must be "Tom Induced"........

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

"David Sweatt" <dsweatt at hotmail.com>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
04/14/2003 10:37 AM
Please respond to discussion

        To:     discussion at nsrca.org
        cc:
        Subject:        RIP Fed Exd

For those of you that know me I hve been flying the same beat up airplane
for about 2 years built by Doc Hurt that was half-Pursuit and with
Prophecy
wings. This plane was old and ugly but it flew like gang busters and we
called it Fed Ex cause Tom Theurer bought the rights to put Fedral Express

decals on it. Will after many hundreds and probably thousands of flights
the
inner wing tube dicided that is glued inside decided to break loose and as

it was doing the two horizontal rolls in the Intermediate pattern it broke

loose shedding both wings in flight. Total destruction..the good news is
the
Gene Maurice special YS 120 is intact and didn't even break the header. We

were managing 8800 RPM with a 16-10 prop on this motor. and it runs
flawlessly thanks to Gene's YS magical wand he waves at them. Thanks to
Tom
for realizing what was happing and getting the throttle back so engine
damage would be minimal. My new Prophecy is setup as of last night and we
are ready to have another try. Will be ready for Waco...David Sweatt

# discussion-request at nsrca.org